Tuesday, June 26, 2007

MORE ON THE NBA DRAFT


Since Mark so deftly covered the Sixers, I'll only speak about them briefly. They have one obvious need at power forward, and they always seem to need help at the 3. And if they trade Andre Miller, they'll need a PG (Louis Williams is not the answer, at least not yet). I'll name the 3 players I'd love them to end up with and the 3 players I will cringe if I hear their name called-

Players I really want(non-sexually)(and other than the big 2)(parentheses)

1. Al Horford (if they magically trade up to 3)
2. Al Thornton (at 12)
3. Al Coholic, or maybe Julian Wright (at 12)

Horford is the best PF in the draft, an excellent rebounder and good defender with decent scoring potential. Thornton is a super-efficient scoring SF. Julian Wright is, from what you may hear, versatile. As is Jeff Green, who would be 4th on this list.

Players who will make me cry if the Sixers take them-

1. Mike Conley, Jr. (if they trade up for him)
2. Brandon Wright
3. Spencer Hawes

Conley would be a fine addition as a PG but I think teams are fooling themselves into believing he's a top-10 pick. So chances are if the Sixers get him it's because they reached. Brandon Wright is just another talented guy with no motivation; he can score, but is pathetic on the glass and on D. Spencer Hawes is 7 feet tall and white. And he plays like it.

Honorable Mention- Any SG they take with the 12th pick or lower.

Regarding their other picks, they need a SG or combo guard for the bench because Willie Green is awful, or hopefully is traded. If they can't get a good 4 at 12th or before (via trade), they'll need to pick one up. And if they can get a decent backup for Dalembert somehow, make the damn pick. Steven Hunter stinks. I'd be fine with Kyle Visser or Aaron Gray with the 30th pick; stiff white guys are fine to pick that low.

In other sports related news, I met Marty Schottenheimer this weekend when I called 911 for his grandson in a hotel lobby in Pittsburgh. Let's hope the little guy is okay.

No comments: