Monday, August 6, 2007

New Yorkers


I like the City of New York. That does not mean that I like the people that live in New York, particularly people that have lived there for the duration of their lives. Here are some selections from the article on the fella that retrieved A-Rod's 500th Home Run.

After the 6-foot-4-inch Walter Kowalczyk caught the ball, he used his roughly 250-pound frame to protect his prize from a scrum of crazed fans Saturday.

He was retrieved by stadium security guards who took him to a suite to watch the rest of the game and then drove him home.

I don't know why they the article would need to mention both his height and his weight. That is just strange.

Brian Kowalczyk said his brother has been considering going on a New York sports radio show, "Mike and the Mad Dog," to ask the hosts' opinion on what to do with the ball.

Larry King: Tonight we have with us the winner of last week's 450 Million Dollar Powerball Lottery, Rob Galvan. Rob, the question I have for you is, what are you going to do with that money?

Rob Galvan: I don't know Larry. What do you think I should do with the money?

King: If it were me, I'd invest all of it in Garlique.

I mean, I can think of probably 4000 people off the top of my head whose opinion I would value over two guys who have trashed A-Rod mercilessly for the past three seasons. I presume the guy just wants to get exposure, hence this awfully written press release, but part of me believes the guy is dumb enough to take Mike and the Mad Dog's advice into consideration.
Brian Kowalczyk said his brother, a big fan of Derek Jeter and former Yankees star Don Mattingly, used his entire savings to buy his season tickets and has been going to every game he can.

Ok. They are obviously big Yankee fans. But then I read this:

Brian Kowalczyk said Monday that his brother, a lifelong Yankees fan, was forced to sell his house after being unemployed for a spell.

Are you kidding me? The dope has to sell his house, yet he keeps his season tickets? I can see why he is going to WFAN for financial advice.

The Phillies are off today. I didn't watch any of the games this weekend and my heart is that much better for it.

No comments: